Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Italian Wedding Soup - Joanne's Savory Summary

This soup was a great ending to a fabulous weekend. The moves Jen and I were showcasing on Friday night at Jess's wedding will be legendary (or they should be).  The weather was gorgeous and the wedding was fun, elegant and memorable.  Since the amazing weather lasted all weekend long, David and I spent as much time as possible outside simply sitting on a blanket on our front lawn.  With Monday came the rain and, more appropriately, the soup. 

Since summer is just around the corner I decided to use all ground pork instead of any ground beef.  However, what I eliminated in
fat I definitely did not lose in flavor.  I also didn't use fresh parsley because I have an abundance of dried parsley.  I had over a dozen meatballs so I was a little concerned about them cooking through in the boiling broth.  To hedge my bet, I baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for only 6 minutes.  Then I put them in the boiling chicken broth with the escarole for 8 minutes. 


The egg/parmesan mixture was an unexpected bonus.  I didn't know how this would turn out at first glance.  I was surprised to see how easy it was to add it to the soup and just how much flavor it added as well.

I would definitely make this soup again.  I even have leftovers for tomorrow's and Wednesday's lunch.  Fortunately, it's light enough for me to enjoy with bikini season right about the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment