Friday, April 12, 2013

Broccoli Rabe

At the recommendation of the New York Times (and, really, who am I to disagree), broccoli rabe was suggested as a great side dish to our parmesan crusted lamb.  The bitterness and garlic bite will be a nice compliment to the tender lamb.  I've also never made broccoli rabe so this is truly a weekend of firsts.  Whenever I've had it though, I've always remembered its distinct flavor and taste.  I'm not sure if this is a bad or good thing since it has been quite some time since I've eaten it.  Guess we will find out this Sunday!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgoMuQLuoiuPH7USAKnBI-U5Bd1n_sktPRcGw5MX4R7Xh_APXc25CXWNGbexb9YYqumn1zNdeW4iLD51DJIdrSRwh6cjyaExO8SgIUKnVxTcXTQGzTpdHH-lyvwiRdpyzOvT6Edw1QmF78/s1600/sopinteresting.jpgSpeaking of firsts, this week has also been a big one.  David and I welcomed our very first niece who has stolen our hearts already and is truly the most beautiful baby (I may be biased).  I am already bombarding my sister-in-law for picture requests everyday and cannot wait to see her again!  Also, on the firsts front, I am hosting my very first demonstration tomorrow given by my other sister-in-law (I am surrounded by sisters.  Definitely a very lucky girl).  She is bringing the products and I am taking care of the food and drinks.  Since this week has been so hectic, I've naturally been trolling pinterest looking for fun yet simple appetizer recipes.  If I come across anything super fun I will be sure to pass it along.  Also, here is a link to our boards (here and here).  Fair warning: Jen is way more Pinterest-ing than me by sheer volume alone. 

Happy Weekend!
Joanne

Broccoli Rabe
Picture of Sauteed Broccoli Rabe Recipeby: Giada

Ingredients
4 bunches (12 to 16 ounces each) broccoli rabe (rapini), stems trimmed
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup raisins
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted

Directions
Working in batches, cook the broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per bunch. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the cooled broccoli rabe and set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the broccoli rabe and toss to coat. Add the reserved cooking water, the raisins, and cook until the broccoli rabe is heated through and the stems are tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt, to taste. Toss the mixture with toasted pine nuts, serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment