Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pork and Peaches

Love of my life
In case you haven't noticed the glut of people wearing red or pink and the abundance of sweets in your office, I wanted to let you know today is Valentine's Day.  This day can be polarizing for many people.  A lot of people think it is a commercial byproduct of card stores, florists and chocolate makers wanting us to spend.  Others put so much pressure on this day and hope for grandiose displays of love and affection from their loved ones.  I like to think I take a middle ground.  I don't think there is anything wrong with setting aside a day to tell the people you love just that.  And that goes for anyone you love...parents, friends, or significant others.  In my opinion, a simple message of 'I love you' can go a long way in our hectic world.

David and his mom
So in celebration of this day of love, I wanted to put something on the menu that my husband, David, absolutely loves.  And it just so happens it is a recipe given to me by a woman that he loves very dearly (as do I), his mother.  My husband was born in Germany so it is no surprise that this is a German dish albeit not well known in the United States.  Or at least I hadn't heard of it until I met him.  It is reverently called Pork and Peaches.  

When David and I first started dating, he would rave about this dish his mom made.  When I told him it would be featured as the Sunday Supper this week, he was quick to let me know what an important task I was about to take on.  You see I've never actually made this dish out of the pure fear of failure.  I would have much rather let him continue to enjoy his mom's dish and keep my culinary credit in tact.  But love makes us do funny things so I thought I would risk my clean cooking track record in the hopes of mimicking this meal for my main squeeze.  So here goes nothing...

Pork and Peaches
by: My lovely mother in law, Elaine

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs pork chops cut into small cubes
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 15 oz can peaches
  • 1/2 pt. white stock or water
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp. wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp. tomato puree
  • 1 tbsp. mustard powder
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Cornflour to thicken
  • White rice to serve over.  
 Directions:
  • Heat the oil and brown the pork all over.  Remove and drain.  Set the pork aside.  Using the same pan, fry the onion until beginning to color.  Take the pan off the heat and add the juice from fruit and the stock/water.  Bring the pan back to the heat and add the sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, mustard power and seasoning.  Return the meat and stir well.  Bring to boil then turn to low.  Let simmer about 1 hour.  In a separate pan, blend the cornflour and water and bring to boil.  Stir in the cornflour mixture to thicken, stirring constantly.  Add the peaches and heat through.  Serve over rice.   

Happy Cooking and Happy Valentine's Day!
Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment