Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I Have a Confession...

Napa Valley 2012
I like wine.  A lot.  I like the taste of it.  I like the smell of it.  I like having a conversation over a glass of it or sharing a meal with a close friend/loved one taking intermittent sips of it throughout.  However, as much as wine knows about me (the saying in vino veritas is absolutely spot on), I have to admit I don't know much about my steadfast companion.  Sure I can recite the buzz words such as 'tannins' and 'oak' and resort to the ever reliable swirl of the glass but ask me to explain what exactly they mean and your question will be met with an awkward look around the room and a nervous sip of my wine. 

Happy Hour with David, Dad and I
This isn't to say that a good chunk of time or effort hasn't been put into learning about wine.  I have gone to many tastings, most recently in Napa, where I tried my best to focus and not just blindly nod as they asked if I had picked up on the buttery notes in this particular chardonnay.  To add insult to injury, I also have a father who absolutely loves wine, wine collecting and wine knowledge.  He maintains an impressive wine cellar and prides himself on his ever growing collection.  Always a believer in furthering my education, he even got me a year long subscription to Wine Spectator and continues to send me shipments of wine to try.  Sorry Dad but I haven't cracked the binding yet but keep the shipments coming! 


Maybe this is what heaven looks like...
While I have no problem discerning what is a good wine vs. a bad wine in the most basic sense and I may even have a knack for pairing food with wine, that is where my knowledge ends.  And you know what that is OK.  I enjoy the experience of trying new wines and continuing to try my hardest to follow along when someone breaks down the components of a particular wine.  But I also will commit to continuing to having fun over wine whether it be the monthly wine nights with my girlfriends or simply enjoying a fine home cooked meal with my husband while sharing whatever red we happen to have in our wine cabinet. 

Maybe my knowledge will grow or maybe I will just continue to be an overt enthusiast of wine with a respect for those can master its many layers. Either way, let's all raise our glasses in appreciation.  Cheers to wine!

~Joanne






No comments:

Post a Comment