Once this tiny snag passed, the rest of the prep and assembly process went seamlessly. I made each of my "chicken sandwiches" and fastened them securely with an exorbitant amount of toothpicks. I figured I would err on the side of caution so I could avoid anything falling apart. Cue snag number two. When I consulted the recipe, it said that the chicken should be browned in olive oil on one side for approximately four minutes and two minutes on the other side. I'm not sure if my oil heated up more quickly than anticipated or my pan wasn't what Martha used but my chicken cooked extremely fast. I had to pull off each piece early to avoid burning the outside. Come to think of it the panko bread crumbs may have contributed to this. In any event, I improvised (again) by lessening the stove top time and baking the chicken for 10 minutes instead of the recommended 5 to ensure it was cooked through.
In the end, the result was a deliciously cheesy and well cooked piece of chicken. It was moist and flavorful and was just the right amount of food for a balanced dinner. I served it with a baked potato and steamed asparagus. The whole meal was balanced and didn't leave David or I feeling like we had bricks of food in our stomachs. As an added bonus, the leftovers made a great lunch today! This is something that I will absolutely make again and the ease of the entire process may even make it a doable weeknight meal. First things first though... I'm off to buy a meat pounder...