Monday, August 18, 2014

Jen's Savory Summary- Oven Roasted Pulled Pork (Window of Deliciousness)

BBQ flavored pulled pork,
 quite a disappointment
I want to start this review off with a quote from the documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi":  "Every ingredient has a window of deliciousness".  I start with this because pork was well outside of it's window.  So far outside that my dutch oven has a tar like substance on the bottom that I will be using my best elbow grease to get rid of.  The recipe does not highlight the pork.  I should of known, seen this from the steps.  The fact the last part of the recipe is to boil the pork in BBQ sauce for an additional half hour should of been a red flag.  The pork doesn't taste like pork, it tastes like BBQ sauce.  If that's what you are going for then this is the recipe for you.

Beautiful product to start out with.
 Dear pork I apologize for drying you out 
My pork, in its ideal window of deliciousness would of had that depth of flavor that comes from the piece of meat I started out with.  The pork was from our usual meat gal at the SOWA farmers market.  We emailed her days in advance to secure our pork butt with bone and great marbling, which I thought would of resulted in a moist flavorful pork goodness.  It did not since it was roasted too long, at too high of a temperature.  Lesson learned, lower the oven temp to 225, roast still for 7 hours.  Hopefully next time this will result in a better pulled pork, until then I need to accept that this recipe is not of Jiro standards.  

If you want to know the real highlight of my Sunday Supper, we should talk about the cornbread I made, recipe here.  Also, if you haven't thought about watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi, here's another reminder, watch it you won't regret it.     
The real star of the show


No comments:

Post a Comment