Friday, August 29, 2014

Green is the New Black

I was probably thinking
about veggies in this picture... 

When I browsing the internet for this post I came across a great article from NY magazine saying the vegetables are new meat.  Also, recently there was a new article talking about the "it" vegetable   Who knew there were trends in the veggie market. When I was child I had to be bribed to eat my vegetables  hiding brussel sprouts under the table and faking bites so I could play with my game boy.  Now a days I welcome the meatless Monday, vegetables are now the hero of plate and I ask where did this transition come from and what is my it vegetable?    

My vegetable has definitely become the mushroom.  These little bits of fungus are flavor sponges that add their earthy undertone to a variety of sauces.  I want to feature a recipe I found in the New York times that can frequently be found on my table (Jason requests this almost weekly).  I typically serve it with either soft polenta (go to recipe here) or a nice charred steak (great way too indoors here)


Polenta With Mushrooms and Soy
Photo courtesy
of NY Times 


Soy Butter Mushrooms
from the NY Times 

Ingredients
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, your choice sliced thin
1/4 cup water
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon soy sauce 
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
pepper to taste

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan set over high heat until melted.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, be mindful that it doesn't burn.  
Add fresh mushrooms and thyme to butter garlic mixture in pan.  Saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes  Add 1/4 cup of water to pan and allow to reduce by half
Reduce heat to medium/low.  Add the remaining butter, soy sauce, heavy cream, and olive oil, whisking to combine.  
Remove from heat and adjust seasonings to preference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment