Thursday, August 7, 2014

German Pancake

We are all grown up Linuses 
A good conversation starter is the simple question of 'What one thing would you take out of your home if it was on fire?'.  The answer can tell you a lot about the person.  Most people will probably say the most socially acceptable answer of something sentimental like family portraits or wedding albums.  In the age of Facebook albums and Instagram, I call bogus on this answer.  Some people will say what they are actually thinking: their favorite shoes or their pillow they've had for years (a grown up version of a ratty security blanket children have).  What would I take?  I would run up to my kitchen and grab my great-grandmother's cast iron pans.  Your first reaction I'm sure is 'Wow, you are so sentimental'. I could claim this but I will not.  I would take these pans because they are the most valuable items I have in my house.  All those years of seasoning, clever term for not thoroughly washing and treating with oil, is priceless.  I find any excuse to use these glorious objects that always result in delicious morsels with a certain je ne sais quoi.  


RAAACHH
I want to feature something I saw on the Rachel Ray Show (via twitter).  I typically avoid RAAACH but Twitter sucked me in.  I am featuring a German pancake for our first Sunday Supper back!  It's the summer so your time should be outside and not in the kitchen.  This will leave plenty of time to enjoy the sunshine on Sunday! 





I hope to feature more cast iron recipes in the coming weeks.  The use of these pans is so versatile.  They also are wonderful at replicating flavors from the grill for an apartment dweller with no outdoor space.  



German Pancake
adapted from the Rachel Ray Show
Ingredients
German Pancake
German Pancake- courtesy
 of Rachel Ray Show
3 large eggs, lightly beaten 
1/2 cup milk 
3/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1 tablespoon granulated sugar 
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
A pinch kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter 
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar 
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice 

Preheat the oven to 425°F. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, nutmeg and salt until combined. The mixture will still have some lumps and that’s a good thing. In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, lower the heat slightly and allow the butter to brown.

Carefully pour the pancake batter into the skillet and transfer it to the oven. 

Bake until the pancake is golden brown around the edges and puffed, 15-20 minutes. 

Garnish with lemon juice and powder sugar.  Either cut to serve or eat right out of the pan!

Enjoy!
Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment