Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Baby Bites- Mango

Joanne and I in Avalon
 this past weekend
I just got back from spending a wonderful week with Joanne, who is finally showing!  She has officially entered her 19th week.  This week is extremely exciting for many reasons, first its the size of a mango, which is a part of one of my favorite desserts ever, and two, we finally get to see what sex the little guy is going to be.   Even though the doctor will know if I am expecting a little niece or nephew, I have to patiently wait until next weekend when Joanne is having her gender reveal.  Now for the featured recipe this week I am quite excited.  I love mangoes, Joanne does not share my love claiming they make her tongue itch.... 


Chinatown Bangkok 
Mangoes are a wonderful fruit with such a bright flavor that it makes you think you are sitting on the beach in the tropics, as opposed to a cold apartment in Boston.  I first had this dessert on my honeymoon in Thailand from a street cart on the side of the road of Chinatown Bangkok.  It was such a different combination, a sweet sticky rice paired with fresh sliced mangoes served in banana leaf (or a plastic bag...).  I've attempted many times to replicate and I think I've come really close.  Of course there is no way to duplicate the hot humid climate, bustling streets, and odd serving dish, but you can at least enjoy the flavor!  

Hope you enjoy!! 

Mango Sticky Rice
recipe from Millberg Kitchen

1 1/2 cups of uncooked sticky rice
1 large can of coconut cream 
1/2 cup of sugar
2 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced in strips

Bring 1 1/2 cups of uncooked sticky rice and 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil, cover with lid.  After about 15 minutes of boiling add half the can of coconut cream, reduce to medium low heat.  Allow to absorb this amount, then add second half.  Add  1/2 cup of sugar to rice, coconut mixture, it will resemble a rice pudding like consistency.  Allow coconut cream to further absorb into the rice.  When you have a desired consistency, not much liquid, in more of a thick pudding state.  Remove from heat.  Transfer to a bowl and place mango on top.  

I prefer it served warm, you can also chill the rice then add the mango.  

No comments:

Post a Comment