|That green stuff can't
have tomatoes in it!
recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 bone in chicken breast halves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 5 Serrano peppers
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco (for garnish)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one quarter onion, one clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth and set aside chicken to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
- Place tomatillos and Serrano chilies in a pot cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil until the tomatillos change color from bright green to a dull, army green. Strain tomatillos and chilies and place into a blender with one quarter onion, 1 clove of garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in enough reserved chicken broth until it covers the vegetables Blend until smooth. Place salsa into a medium saucepan and bring to low boil
- Pour oil into frying pan, heat until smoking. Slightly fry tortillas one at a time, set onto paper towel afterwards. After all tortillas are fried, dip into simmering salsa until the tortillas become soft again.
- Fill tortillas with shredded chicken and more green salsa and place in rectangular casserole dish. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro. Place under broiler from 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.