Friday, March 15, 2013

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling...

Oh_Ryan's_Photo_3In celebration of St. Patty's Day (or Paddy's as I was told yesterday) which, although subject to heated debate, is actually celebrated in Ireland, I thought we would end this week with a sweet treat that is in fact not Irish at all, the Irish Potato.  Coincidentally, there isn't one shred of potato in them either.  So what the heck are they?  Read on and I shall tell you...

It turns out the Irish potato is a Philadelphia delicacy.  When I first found this out I was shocked!  You mean the world hasn't been exposed to this level of pure deliciousness.  Then I was proud.  Go Philly.  We can do more than just cheesesteaks and scrapple... queue the ever so healthy Irish Potato (sarcasm was invented here too by the way).  

St. Patty's Day 2010 - Notice ALL of the green
The main purveyor of this annual confection is Oh Ryan based right in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania.  After a little research, I discovered that in fact this was all this company made.  And we're not talking about a year round product.  That's a business model I could get used to!  I grew up loving Irish Potatoes.  Being actually about 2% Irish, I would certainly act like I was 100% Irish on St. Patrick's Day indulging in many an Irish Potato and as time went on quite a lot of Guinness (my favorite beer to this day).    

So whether you'll be knocking back the Jamison or sipping on some green beer, don't forget to include a generous portion of Irish Potatoes to start your wee Irish holiday.  I've included a recipe below so you can make them before Sunday while you're still sober...

Erin Go Braugh!
Joanne

Irish Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 4 ounces regular cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia brand OF COURSE!)
  • 1 pound powdered sugar, plus extra for coating hands
  • 7 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Preparation:
With mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. Mix in sugar and vanilla.  Stir in coconut flakes. Put cinnamon into small bowl. Coat dry hands with a little powdered sugar and using your hands take small pieces of mixture (about 2 teaspoons apiece) and form into potato shape. Drop potatoes into cinnamon and roll to coat. Place on baking sheet. When all the potatoes have been formed and dipped in cinnamon, refrigerate for several hours until firm.

 Funny St. Patrick's Day Ecard: Let's make this a St. Patrick's Day to remember before we black out.


No comments:

Post a Comment