Thursday, March 21, 2013

Have a little nosh


I'm a self proclaimed 'The Nanny' addict.  When I lived by myself I used to tape it on my DVR and have five episodes waiting for me whenever the mood struck me.   While watching the Nanny, I fell further in love with the art of noshing aka a light snack before a meal.  I grew up with constant snacking and even to this day whenever I go home my mom is ready with some snacks for us to eat and chat over before we even think about dinner.   

All the Sharp ladies 
While thinking about noshing, I was trying to decide what my nosh of choice was.  You know when someone invites you over their house you always volunteer to bring something.  For me, I always bring odd things here and there... some wine, I pick up oysters, I get some sliced meat at Fromaggio kitchen.  It never really is the same thing ever time. 


The two expert noshers
My sister, Joanne, on the other hand has her go-to nosh. Without fail, she breaks out the guacamole.  That girl can make some delicious homemade guacamole and it's always a crowd pleaser.  My mom has her go-to as well.  In her nosh vault is the ever delicious baked brie...the rich creamy cheese with a fruit preserve baked up in a nice puff pastry.  Served with crackers or a nice baguette, there are never any leftovers.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  So now you see my dilemma.  I am surrounded by two ladies with great crowd pleasing dishes in their arsenal and all I can offer up is some cut meat.  Please help me find my nosh of choice!  

Help me!
Here is a twist on the classic brie en croute.  Maybe this will be come your nosh of choice!

Brie En Croute

1 wheel of Brie
1/2 cup pecan pieces
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 sheet of puff pastry or a tub of crescent rolls

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Toast pecans for 5 to 10 minutes on a baking sheet.  
  • In a small bowl combine toasted pecans, brown sugar, maple syrup, and bourbon.  Mix until combined.
  • Roll out pastry sheet on a floured surface.  Place pecan mixture in the center spreading out to form a circle the size of the brie.  Place brie on top of pecans. Fold over pastry and pinch to close.
  • Place wrapped brie on foil lined baking sheet, pecan filled side up.  
  • Place into oven and cook for 25 minutes, or until pastry is light brown.
Serve with apples or sliced baguette


Happy Noshing!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment