Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Matzo Ball Soup - Joanne's Savory Summary

Being a huge soup fan, I was excited for this meal.  I've also had Hymie's matzo ball soup and it is absolutely delicious.  The recipe looked easy enough so I figured this would be a success.  Since Passover began Monday, I found most of the ingredients I needed on an end cap in Whole Foods.  I opted to use oil for my matzo balls rather than chicken fat.  The thought of asking the butcher for chicken fat in the middle of Whole Foods was an experience I wanted to avoid.  Don't get me wrong...I love the healthy options and amazing variety but I have noticed a level of 'attitude' in the patrons at my local Whole Foods.  Chicken fat would have thrown the judgmental glances into overdrive.

Originally I had intended on making this Monday because I had to work on Sunday.  However, after
IT issue after IT issue, I thought I would give the recipe a try on Sunday with my unanticipated free time.  However, this was after David had already ordered a pizza.  Needless to say we are both deflating today.  I made the matzo ball mix around 2 and left it in the fridge to chill while we watched March Madness.  Around 4, I started making my chicken and broth.  I decided to use skinless chicken legs with the bone in.  We eat enough chicken breast around this place to last a lifetime so I needed a slight variation.  I figured the chicken legs would give a different flavor to the broth and add some dark meat to the soup. 

After about 3 hours of chilling, I put together my matzo balls with as much care as I could muster.  While they weren't as light and fluffy as Hymie's, I was pretty impressed with my matzo balls.  They weren't super dense but they weren't exactly airy.  Definitely something I can work on for next time.  David absolutely loved the soup even though initially I got plenty of side eye when he realized soup was on the menu this week.  He finished all of the leftovers already and even requested I make it next week.  Considering I have half a jar of matzo meal left, I will be glad to!


No comments:

Post a Comment