|I'm with him...|
Since undoubtedly barbecue would be the obvious choice for this week's edition, I thought I would pass along a delicious side dish instead that also doubles as a summer salad. Admittedly, I cannot take credit for this recipe. I found it in People magazine of all places as a summertime staple for Diane Von Fursternburg. No no not made by her... made by her chef of course. Before you implode with judgmental thoughts, I have looked over this recipe and I promise it has all the makings of a healthy dish. Enjoy!
Green Apple & Macadamia Quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 small green onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup seeded diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced green apple
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 red Serrano chili, seeded and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp agave nectar (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp flaky salt (or to taste)
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. In a small, dry skillet toast the macadamia nuts until evenly browned, 3-4 minutes, stirring often to keep them from burning. Once browned, crush the nuts lightly with a knife.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, macadamia nuts and the remaining ingredients. Toss and check for seasoning; add more lemon juice and salt if necessary.