Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy Fourth of July!!

http://www.crazywebsite.com/Pg-Free-Clipart-Graphics/Images_US_Independence_Day_Fourth_of_July/Funny_Little_Baby_Big_Watermelon_400x344-1.jpg
I'm with him...
Happy birthday America!  Gloriously imperfect but wonderfully free.  Land that I love and my home.  I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and takes a break from copious watermelon consumption to feel some American pride.

Since undoubtedly barbecue would be the obvious choice for this week's edition, I thought I would pass along a delicious side dish instead that also doubles as a summer salad.  Admittedly, I cannot take credit for this recipe.  I found it in People magazine of all places as a summertime staple for Diane Von Fursternburg.  No no not made by her... made by her chef of course.  Before you implode with judgmental thoughts, I have looked over this recipe and I promise it has all the makings of a healthy dish.  Enjoy!

Green Apple & Macadamia Quinoa
Serves 4

Ingredients
    http://www.culinarycovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/green-apple-macadamia-salad.jpg
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small green onion, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup seeded diced cucumber
  • 1 cup diced green apple
  • 1/2 cup diced green pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 red Serrano chili, seeded and thinly sliced
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp agave nectar (or to taste)
  • 3/4 tsp flaky salt (or to taste)
Directions
  1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions.  In a small, dry skillet toast the macadamia nuts until evenly browned, 3-4 minutes, stirring often to keep them from burning.  Once browned, crush the nuts lightly with a knife.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, macadamia nuts and the remaining ingredients.  Toss and check for seasoning; add more lemon juice and salt if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment